www.Compu-help.us Home Page
* New - Windows® 7 Tips, Help & Information
Windows or Office XP Updates Fail to Update
Note: #3 fixed the Office "Scan for updates" failure for us.
1) Make sure your Internet Security is set to the ‘Medium’ level. In Internet Explorer, click on ‘Tools’, then on ‘Internet Options’, then on the ‘Security’ tab. Verify that the security level is set to Medium. If it reads ‘Custom’, click on the ‘Default Level’ button to reset it to Medium.
If you make a change to this setting, you must close the browser and reopen it for the changes to take effect. Just for good measure, you may also want to temporarily disable your anti-virus or any software firewall programs that could impede the process.
2) Clear the browsers Cache and History files. Click on Tools, then Internet Options and in the ‘Temporary Internet Files’ section, click the ‘Delete Files’ and ‘Clear History’ buttons then on the OK button.
Close the browser and reopen it and try again.
3) Clear the contents of the hidden Windows Update folder on your hard drive. Double-click on My Computer, then on the Tools menu then on Folder Options. Click on the ‘View’ tab at the top then click on the option in the Advanced Settings box to ‘Show hidden files and folders’ then on OK.
Now navigate to the ‘Program Files’ folder on the C: drive and open it, then open the ‘Windows Update’ folder and if you see any files or folders other than the ‘V4’ folder, delete them.
Next open the ‘V4’ folder and delete all files EXCEPT the IUHIST.XML file. This contains the history of your updates. Confirm the deletion of everything except the IUHIST.XML file.
If none of this steps helps you, go to: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot.
*To help keep your computer running the way it should,
we recommend using the commercial programs shown below.
*** Slow computer, Scan it for registry errors free.
This is a very good scan and repair program. Click Here!
*** We rate both these programs exceptionally good.
*** Repair XP Pro - (Great program) The most comprehensive system repair tool on the market.
* Scan your PC for errors absolutely Free (Very good)
* Evidence Eliminator - Erase your surfing history total "privacy protection".
* KeyLogPro - Want to know what other people type on your computer when you are away?
100's of Very Good Assorted Free computer programs.
How to locate people, do a background check, search the invisible web